[geeks] Opinions on T-Mobile and Verizon

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 14:02:37 CST 2007

I can't speak to Verizon, other than 2nd hand reports about billing
issues from acquaintances, as well as their comments about coverage.
(Verizon and Nextel being the only ones with coverage in the Metro in DC).

I've been a T-Mobile customer since 2001, and am quite happy with their
customer service.  While they do have the "call back if you don't get
the answer you want" problem, it's not as dramatic as other carriers
from what I can see--I've never had to do it.

Their plans are quite good as far as I am concerned.  Their data plan is
not great (and not the fastest--that goes to Verizon) price-wise.

Their Samsung phones are crippled from what I've read.  I decided not to
get one for that reason--my latest phone is a bog-standard Motorola
Razr.  I've used several unlocked phones with no issues on their
service, and if you have a phone locked from another GSM provider, that
can be unlocked with out a firmware rewrite, they will get the unlock
code for you so it can be used on T-Mobile.

In DC I did have trouble with coverage, but they are actively working on
network expansion in most metropolitan areas.

If you want specific details about a given area I'd suggest posting over
on howardforums.com--there are a lot of phone company reps that frequent
the place, as well as a ton of knowledgeable people in the forum that
aren't associated with the phone companies.

I alway go there to research any phone interest.  My latest query was
about a GSM version of that phone mentioned by Francois, the i760.

=Nadine=