[geeks] OLPCs for sale...

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Thu Nov 22 20:17:12 CST 2007

> Then there are all the other positions that require more education
> than a teacher, most of which don't get paid much either compared to
> private sector.

Like what?

> You are talking about people already there making more money due to
> time.
>
> I'm talking about two people starting at the same time.  The teachers
> start out higher and keep pace with the others.

Like my wife who startd at AT&T 11K more than me and until about 5 years
ago, made more than I did each year.  You can't make a blanket statement
like that. My pay, for most of the time, has not kept up with inflation.
I would be happy with just that.

> But you cannot make that comparison across the government/private
> barrier.

Why not?  Many other do just that.  I live with people in the public
and government sectors.  I buy the same things, pay taxes, etc.
Most government workers make less than most people.  Some don't.

> You have to make your comparisons in the same situations.

I'd like to find someone in the same situation. :)

> No, I'm talking about the same person, just standing in a different
> spot while working.

I've worked in other jobs.  I my case I took a 3K loss when I got
my present job.  Of course, that was just me.

> The public schools are so bad here, it would require effort for any
> other school or even a street teacher to do worse.

That's too bad.  I too wish schools were better.  My younger son is
going to my school and I'm paying the tax to that district too.  My
older son is going to a Catholic high school and I really think they
are not giving him a good education plus they are pushing him from
what he would like to do to want they want him to do and he
is not very talented in that area.  Luckily, he is also learning
networking which is more toward his interests.

The local high school is so bad that they lost their accreditation
which means graduates would have trouble getting into college
even with a straight A average.

Bob