[geeks] OLPCs for sale...

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Nov 22 21:17:48 CST 2007

On Nov 22, 2007, at 9:17 PM, wa2egp at att.net wrote:

>> Then there are all the other positions that require more education
>> than a teacher, most of which don't get paid much either compared to
>> private sector.
>
> Like what?
>

>> You are talking about people already there making more money due to
>> time.
>>
>> I'm talking about two people starting at the same time.  The teachers
>> start out higher and keep pace with the others.
>
> Like my wife who startd at AT&T 11K more than me and until about 5
> years
> ago, made more than I did each year.  You can't make a blanket
> statement
> like that. My pay, for most of the time, has not kept up with
> inflation.
> I would be happy with just that.

I'm not making blanket statements, I'm talking about local government
jobs, not the overall market.

You changed the subject and mentioned AT&T, a private sector job.

I mean a teacher and a hydraulic engineer both start in my town.  The
teacher will get more pay, and does *NOT* have more education.

Also, I don't agree with education is a metric of how much you should
get paid anyway.

The job should pay what it is worth.  If a man with no education does
a good job, he should get good pay.

Likewise a PhD that sucks should have to eat out of the garbage.

> Why not?  Many other do just that.

If you ignore that some jobs are government, you are ignoring the
primary reason why teachers are underpaid in most areas.

Some jobs actually pay well in the government, but not a lot of them.

Just about all city government workers are underpaid, no matter what
they do, at least around here.

Or let's put it this way, if they actually did the job competently,
they would be underpaid... :)

The irony is that because they get so many bad people, the cities
likely lose more than they save by being so stingy.

>> No, I'm talking about the same person, just standing in a different
>> spot while working.
>
> I've worked in other jobs.  I my case I took a 3K loss when I got
> my present job.  Of course, that was just me.

I've done that before, but only within reason.

> The local high school is so bad that they lost their accreditation
> which means graduates would have trouble getting into college
> even with a straight A average.

I'm personally not convinced that some of the tests they use are a
very good measure.

At some schools where their rating is stellar and the students all
make As, nearly all of them are historically ignorant, innumerate,
border line illiterate, and geographically lost.

Loss of accreditation these days could actually mean the school was
good.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com