[geeks] OLPCs for sale...

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Thu Nov 22 12:42:15 CST 2007

From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>

> On Nov 20, 2007, at 5:32 PM, der Mouse wrote:
>
> > By negotiating a contract with the employer under which the employer
> > must make union membership a condition of employment.  This is what
> > "closed shop" is all about.  Government does not have to come into it
> > except insofar as government is involved in enforcing contracts.
>
> How can government not come into a government job?
>
> I don't see how the government could legally force a teacher into a
> union or pay union dues, or how the union could.

By enforcing the contract.  If you have a closed shop and that's in
the contract, it can be enforced

> I guess there are laws that force the government to honor union
> contracts, but that smells horribly wrong to me.

I don't like the 85% charge for non members.  It's about the only
method a member has to protest or have some sort of leverage
with the union is to quit or threaten to quit.  Now the union can
run amuck.  Most people in my building are convinced that the union
is "in bed" with the board of education and it is really hard to
get them to back you on any greivance.

Bob