[geeks] OLPCs for sale...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Nov 22 01:22:29 CST 2007

>From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm at mendelson.com>
>Date: 2007/11/22 Thu AM 01:02:31 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] OLPCs for sale...

>On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 12:48:55AM -0600, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> Our public schools here in my town (can't speak about any others, no exp.
with
>> any others) are quite good, but we are still considering pulling my son out
of
>> the public school system next year, when he trades the 400 student
elementary
>> school for a much larger middle school.
>
>That may be good or bad. The larger the school, the more activites and
special
>programs it can have. Having gone to a "regular" high school in the late
1960's
>with 4500 students across 3 grades, I can say that there were things that
were
>availble to the genral population that were only available to students
>in specialized schools with smaller populations.
>
>Of course that was a long time ago, things may have changed.

Our issue is how our son will handle the larger school - not so much how the
larger school will handle him. I think he will get lost, and the staff may not
make the effort to connect with him and keep him involved...

The school we are thinking of sending him to has as many students (6-12th
grade) as the middle school has in the 6th grade (about 400).

The public schools here (again, all I have exp. with) are *very good* about
special services, thanks to NCLB and other initiatives, but that doesn't
overcome the size issue (in our case).

Lionel