[geeks] Leopard 10.5.1 Update now available

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Nov 21 07:19:03 CST 2007

>From: Micah R Ledbetter <vlack-lists at vlack.com>
>Date: 2007/11/21 Wed AM 12:43:33 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Leopard 10.5.1 Update now available

<snip>

>And I think 10" would be pretty cool too. I keep looking at things
>like the EEE, the OLPC, the old Librettos, and those cool import
>FlyBooks (tiny, fast, integrated: camera, bluetooth, wifi, gprs (or
>evdo?), gps...). I don't mind a smaller screen, at all, and I think I
>could get used to a smaller keyboard, even.

The Eee is pretty nice - I just threw WinXp on it, and there were a few
issues:

 - Everytime I turn it on, it complains about the screen being set to a very
low resolution, and encouraging me to change it (it wants the screen to be
800x600, not 800x480)

 - When I click on "Start" I get another pop-up telling me that some items in
my start menu couldn't be displayed due to the screen resolution.

 - Skype supports the webcam, but the skype screen somehow places itself in an
odd place, with the top "bar" of the panel just above the top of the screen
(meaning it is very tricky to move the panel around).

 - As I said before, the keyboard is small, but very usable on a table, on
your lap (well, OK, my lap anyway) there is no place to rest your hands and
tpye without the laptop bouncing around.

 - Battery life is good, about 3 hours per charge is possible - needs vary,
but that suite me fine.

 - It could *really* use built-in bluetooth, to allow for a wireless, full-
size mouse - the built-in pointer is fine for occasional use, but for
presentations, etc. a wireless external mouse could really improve usability.

 - The screen should be 800x600 for WinXp - it has issues with smaller
displays (see above). The screen is very usable, but based on recent weather
around here (NJ), I've not tested it outside (yet).

 - WinXp runs OK with 512 Meg RAM, 4 Gig "C:" drive and I threw in a 16 Gig
"E:" drive for application/data. The Eee manual has instructions for moving
"My Documents" and IE temporary files to the second "drive".

 - I can't decide if I'm going to void the warranty and up the RAM - 2 Gig
Kingston SoDIMM can be had for $45 + S/H from Newegg (AR), but to install it I
have to remove the warranty sticker...

 - I haven't installed MS Office (yet), I haven't decided if I want to
compress the "C:" drive, since that would impact performance.

>IMO, while a super pretty screen is sexy, one I can see outside
>without killing the batt would be really, really awesome.

Agreed.

Lionel