[geeks] OLPCs for sale...

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Nov 20 21:20:13 CST 2007

On Nov 20, 2007, at 8:14 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> I had a friend who was a management employee (in IT for the state,
> thery were considered management, and were members of the management
> "union") - he had to pay fees to the union, member or not, though if
> he was not a member, he paid a slight bit less.
>
> My local school district policy allows the union (ahm,
> "association") to charge up to 85% of the association fees from non-
> members, deducted right from their paycheck.[0]

I know it's allowed, but I think it is unethical and illegal.

Lot's of things our government does or supports is illegal, so it
isn't anything new.

The laws which allow this need to be targeted and removed from the
system.

Unions in my view, ultimately become the problem they are trying to
solve.  They attract the same kinds of people and end up screwing the
workers and add the customers to the mix as well.

I fully understand why they get created of course, but they eventually
seem to become infested with the same type of leadership that led to
their creation in the first place.

>> Then again, most labor laws and related seem to be illegal in the
>> first place.
>>
>> Certainly EOE and laws like that are unconstitutional.
>
> Illegal or not, they are the "right thing to do" - at least, I
> believe that is the argument...

It's a false argument.

The Constitution *IS* EOE, and everything else.

When you enact something like EOE, you remove freedom and equality.
It's impossible to single out any group and give them guaranteed
rights without taking some away from everyone, including the group you
are allegedly helping.

It's wrong, dangerous, and ultimately has agendas behind it that have
little to do with stated purpose.

It sounds great on an emotional basis, but constitutionally it is a
nightmare we should reverse before it is too late.

There is no case brought before court with EOE that could not be made
without EOE, and the same is true for any other similar laws.  The law
of the land, if followed, already makes that unnecessary.

*NOTHING* like that is ever created without strings attached.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com