[geeks] OLPCs for sale...

Fri Nov 16 10:38:50 CST 2007

>> [OLPC is] yet another form of "our way is Teh Best, so we'll export
>> it to the world willy-nilly to Help those Poor Downtrodden
>> Improverished".
> So, in that case do you think it's best to leave them alone and not
> try to help at all?

If you can't do it in any better than this bull-in-a-china-shop-y way,
yes, I think it would be better to stay hands-off.

I have mixed feelings about *all* foreign aid for these reasons.  I
come down in favour of it in some cases (like MSF, which I actually go
so far as to donate to), but I can't help seeing OLPC as well over into
"better not done than done this way" territory.

> [...], but [OLPC] addresses an area that nobody else is addressing.

True.  But I think it is an area that does not need addressing; if you
had said "need" instead of "area" I would have reacted with something
like "I sure don't see the need".

> Additionally, it is likely not taking anything away from the efforts
> to help with food, shelter, and clean water.

Mmm.  You have a point.  I'm not sure you're right, but I'm not sure
you're wrong, either.

I'm not sure it's doing them any favour to be forcefeeding them Our Way
like this, even if it doesn't harm other efforts.  (Mmm, maybe
"forcefeeding" is a bit strong....)  I'm not such a fan of Our Way as
to think it's necessarily right for other peoples.  (Yes, we are
successful, but that's for our own definition of "success", and it's
one that a number of smart and wise people disagree with[%].  And even
that aside, we have no way of telling whether we're "successful"
because of things like this or in spite of them.)

[%] Reporter: Mr. Gandhi, what do you think of Western civlization?
    Gandhi: I think it would be a very good idea.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca