[geeks] OLPCs for sale...

ericj ericj at ericj.net
Fri Nov 16 11:07:44 CST 2007

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 11:38:50 -0500 (EST), der Mouse wrote

> > Additionally, it is likely not taking anything away from the efforts
> > to help with food, shelter, and clean water.
>
> Mmm.  You have a point.  I'm not sure you're right, but I'm
> not sure you're wrong, either.

I believe the plan is for the governments of these countries to buy the
devices (not really a laptop, after all). In that case, yes the money is
coming out of the same pot as the medical, educational, etc. budgets. I
haven't heard that any other parties have stepped up to pay for
computers for Rwanda (or anywhere else). If that were the case, then we
could discuss whether it was just an eccentric use of charitable funds.

> I'm not sure it's doing them any favour to be forcefeeding
> them Our Way like this, even if it doesn't harm other efforts.
>  (Mmm, maybe "forcefeeding" is a bit strong....)  I'm not such
> a fan of Our Way as to think it's necessarily right for other
> peoples.  (Yes, we are successful, but that's for our own
> definition of "success", and it's one that a number of smart
> and wise people disagree with[%].  And even that aside, we
> have no way of telling whether we're "successful" because of
> things like this or in spite of them.)

Overall, I guess it's better to try to force the developing world to use
MIT-designed computers than it would be to force them to use
MIT-purchased buildings:
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/110607-mit-sues-gehry.html

--

"Facts are the enemy of truth." -- Don Quixote

Eric Johnson