[geeks] OLPCs for sale...

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Fri Nov 16 10:25:11 CST 2007

der Mouse wrote:
>> Can you really make fun of Negroponte for trying something different
>> to improve the lives of children?

After reading my own post, i have to make fun of myself here:  "Think
about the children! The poor children that don't even have laptops!"
> When it's this badly thought out and this badly done, yes.
>
> I have mostly stayed out of this discussion, but this takes it to a
> place where I feel I have to speak up on.

<snip>
> I see OLPC as being a computer-technological version of that.  It seems
> like the sheerest arrogance to me to think that giving laptops - or
> desktops, for that matter - to people who don't really even have
> electricity is going to help them in any way but giving them something
> to sell and spend the money on what they *really* need.  (And, given
> how badly the human anumal typically does at telling the difference
> between wants and needs, quite likely not even that - quite aside from
> there being a lack of a market accessible to the recipients.)  It's yet
> another form of "our way is Teh Best, so we'll export it to the world
> willy-nilly to Help those Poor Downtrodden Improverished".

So, in that case do you think it's best to leave them alone and not try
to help at all?

Like I said in my last post, it's not that I feel that this is the best
initiative ever, and it certainly won't solve all of the problems that
these people have, but it addresses an area that nobody else is
addressing. Additionally, it is likely not taking anything away from the
efforts to help with food, shelter, and clean water.  I think that OLPC
can help SOME of these people, and is at least somewhat worthwhile
because of that.  Note that i don't think it's worthwhile enough to
dedicate my life to it, and for that matter have not personally donated
to the cause, nor do I intend to at this time.  However I don't think
that the effort is so horrible that i should sit back and tear down all
aspects of it.

    -Dan Sikorski