[geeks] Project Indiana

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Thu Nov 1 07:57:17 CDT 2007

Francois Dion wrote:
> It's available to download. I got to it early so I got decent
> bandwidth (350KB/s). This is GNOME. Select the nimbus theme to get
> back in part the look and feel of JDS (you'll have to move stuff
> around too). I value highly screen real-estate, and a top and bottom
> bar take too much space. Also, not sure why but I cant resize my menu
> bar to less than 27 pixels. I usually run at 20 or 22, whichever is
> the lowest setting to resize the java cup by 1 zoom level. 27 is too
> big. I also run all my fonts much smaller than 10, this is under
> system->preferences->appearance, not preferences->font
>
> Booting from CD on a 1.6GHz centrino laptop took 2 minutes flat to get
> the desktop (hit enter at language selection, it will auto login too).

What's the screen resolution on that laptop?  "27 pixels is too big" is
a bit lacking in context without knowing the display resolution you're
working at.  A 27-pixel menubar eats a significantly larger proportion
of a 640x480 display than, say, a 1440x1050 one.

(Personally, I've pretty much found I can't get real work done any more
on a screen significantly less than 1600x1200.)

--
        Phil Stracchino                CDK#2
 phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net   alaric at caerllewys.net
 Landline: 603-429-0220           Mobile: 603-320-5438
        It's not the years, it's the mileage.