[geeks] Project Indiana

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 10:00:03 CDT 2007

On 11/1/07, Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> Francois Dion wrote:
> > It's available to download. I got to it early so I got decent
> > bandwidth (350KB/s). This is GNOME. Select the nimbus theme to get
> > back in part the look and feel of JDS (you'll have to move stuff
> > around too). I value highly screen real-estate, and a top and bottom
> > bar take too much space. Also, not sure why but I cant resize my menu
> > bar to less than 27 pixels. I usually run at 20 or 22, whichever is
> > the lowest setting to resize the java cup by 1 zoom level. 27 is too
> > big. I also run all my fonts much smaller than 10, this is under
> > system->preferences->appearance, not preferences->font
> >
> > Booting from CD on a 1.6GHz centrino laptop took 2 minutes flat to get
> > the desktop (hit enter at language selection, it will auto login too).
>
> What's the screen resolution on that laptop?  "27 pixels is too big" is
> a bit lacking in context without knowing the display resolution you're
> working at.  A 27-pixel menubar eats a significantly larger proportion
> of a 640x480 display than, say, a 1440x1050 one.

Actually, it shows 27, but from comparisons with SXDE, it looks like
it is really closer to 32. And it is 1440x1050, which is interesting
when trying to look at something 1280x1024. Autohide would work, but
it is annoying to me.

> (Personally, I've pretty much found I can't get real work done any more
> on a screen significantly less than 1600x1200.)

Hence my quest for a better laptop. Current laptop is 124dpi. 1920 on
15.4 would go to 144 dpi, but that's really not that bad, since
default gnome and jds is to run all fonts at 10+, but I drop them to 8
and would really use 7 if if didn't crash nautilus under gnome 2.18.1
(JDS variant under SXDE3). I also use icons at 75%
(nautilus->edit->preferences, this applies to nautilus and the
desktop). And I use subpixel smoothing.

Francois