[geeks] synchronizing dhcp and bind

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Tue Jun 19 18:03:47 CDT 2007

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Have I missed something obvious?

No, it is the magical recipe needed to make ISC DHCP update ISC BIND
simply not obvious. I did it once, but I don't recall how I did it.
There's a secion in dhcpd.conf called "DYNAMIC DNS UPDATES" that should
get you started, or at least there is on my CentOS 4 DHCP server at $WORK...

If you are open to alternatives to BIND and ISC DHCP, DNSmasq is a
lightweight DNS+DHCP server with dynamic updates that Just Works(tm)...
you can also tell DNSmasq to use /etc/hosts as a source for your zone
information ;)

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at tux.obix.com