[geeks] synchronizing dhcp and bind

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Jun 24 11:04:04 CDT 2007

Tue, 19 Jun 2007 @ 18:03 -0500, Phil Brutsche said:

> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > Have I missed something obvious?
>
> No, it is the magical recipe needed to make ISC DHCP update ISC BIND
> simply not obvious. I did it once, but I don't recall how I did it.
> There's a secion in dhcpd.conf called "DYNAMIC DNS UPDATES" that should
> get you started, or at least there is on my CentOS 4 DHCP server at $WORK...

I decided against that for now, though it seems interesting.

It has you putting zone information in your dhcpd.conf file, which is
weird.

I decided to let DNS control addresses and just use fixed names in
dhcpd.conf and let dhcpd contact bind for the rest.

Works for me.

Laziness is a powerful motivator.

> If you are open to alternatives to BIND and ISC DHCP, DNSmasq is a
> lightweight DNS+DHCP server with dynamic updates that Just Works(tm)...
> you can also tell DNSmasq to use /etc/hosts as a source for your zone
> information ;)

I might look at it some time.

--
shannon           | An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto