[geeks] Games for a young gamer

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Jun 7 00:28:30 CDT 2007

Hi, my 9 year old son is interested in going to the next level of gaming.

He's a "special" case. He's very mechanically adept and quite bright, but
he has PDD (a form of autism) and ADD/AHD.

So far, he's been playing the simple flash games on the Lego web site.
Sometimes he enjoys them, then he gets frustrated when they get stuck,
or he can't figure out what to do and starts pounding the keyboard.

He can't read, but can be shown or figures out what keys to press.

He's home sick for the day, and his brother (11) stayed home to entertain him.
(he's running a low grade fever, enough to keep home, but not enough
to keep him in bed).

His brother is the opposite, he plays games like Need for Speed, Oblivion,
Morrowind, Call of Duty, etc. fast paced games which require constant
attention and the ability to read. He also plays on line games such
as Silk Road and Maple Story.

As an experiment, I tried them on Myst. It did not get very far, His brother
never played it before, so they were wandering around an empty place, somewhat
lost and as my son said "it creeped him out".

So I'm looking for games that can be run on an older PC (P4, 1.6g, DirectX 7)
computer that would be suitable for him. Medium paced action, not a
lot of violence and simple to play.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838