[geeks] Games for a young gamer

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 00:57:30 CDT 2007

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> So I'm looking for games that can be run on an older PC (P4, 1.6g,
> DirectX 7) computer that would be suitable for him. Medium paced
> action, not a lot of violence and simple to play.

How about things like (The Original Spectrum-Holobyte) Tetris or Dr.
Mario or something similar?  They get pretty fast, but they *start out*
not that fast.  And they only require a couple of commands.

I play Rocket Mania, but it uses a timer, which might mean the action's
too fast.  It is simple to learn, though.  You just have to click.  And
you can try it out free on Yahoo.

Many of the slower games I play aren't that easy to learn.  I play the
Sierra adventure games.  They are mostly slower, but they definitely
take some getting used to.  Although the newer ones that just use the
mouse "look and do" interface aren't that bad, you still have to be able
to pay attention to the dialogue and follow the storyline.  Is he able
to?  If he can't read, then the older ones (no pre-recorded dialogue)
are out.

How about Flight Simulator?  No shooting, and all you need to know is
the stick.  And it's quite fun, at least for me.  Or maybe even a
driving game?  I'm partial to the GT-car games.

How about one of the dancing mat games?  I'm not into them, but my
brother seems to like them.

Peace...  Sridhar