[geeks] Princeton Surplus Haul... (Appletalk to Ethernet)

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Thu Nov 16 10:49:12 CST 2006

Quoth Geoffrey S. Mendelson ...

> The biggest problem that I would have with a house full of
> old Macs, is
> the lack of ethernet support. At one time Apple sold an IP
> over localtalk
> (previously known as appletalk) to IP over ethernet bridge, but I have
> never seen it available publicly or bootleg. It ran on any Mac that
> had both ports on it.

Here's a possible solution for that, albeit a completely oddball one.

I have a Farallon Netopia ISDN router that has both Appletalk and Ethernet
ports.  Since I don't have any Macs, I can't very well test whether the
router actually connects the Appletalk side to the Ethernet side in a useful
way.  The manual is pretty vague about it.  Although those things were
USD$1,000 when new, around here they are in the computer junk stores for
$1.00 or so; it wouldn't be an expensive experiment for someone with the
necessary equipment and knowledge.

-Shel