[geeks] Princeton Surplus Haul...

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Nov 16 08:46:41 CST 2006

On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 09:34:12AM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> MacOS 9 had bolted-on-as-an-afterthought support for multiple users.
> The Multiple Users feature was optional, via a control panel.  Once
> enabled, it supported three types of user:  unlimited, restricted, and
> 'panels', a kid-friendly interface similar to EasyFinder.  (It also
> recognized the original user account as the "Owner" account, which was
> automatically unrestricted and cannot be removed.)

Ok, I never saw that.

> How old are you talking about?  It's been a looooooong time since Apple
> last shipped a Mac that didn't have built-in Ethernet.

Yea, I guess so. :-)

> > In reality I really don't care much, my wife runs Basilisk II and MacOS
> > 7.1 on her Windows XP machine.
>
> Ah.  That explains a lot.  Even System 7.5, as per the unofficial (and
> disapproved of by Apple) System 7.5 release shirt, "sucks less".

7.5.1 "sucks less". 7.5.3 was pretty good. 7.5.5 "sucked more". Lots of
good things that were fixed or added in 7.5.3 were broken again or
removed from 7.5.5.

> In this house, Windows is GameOS and basically nothing else.

My middle son runs games and IE on his computer. If you could reduce a
web browser to a video search and YouTube, that's all he would need.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838