[geeks] Advice on buying a new Mac

John Francini francini at mac.com
Mon Nov 13 10:47:38 CST 2006

1GB is good for most things, unless you end up running either

a) stuff under Rosetta (the PowerPC emulator), such as MS Office or
Photoshop

b) Parallels (to have multiple OSes running in virtualization)

in which case you should go straight to 2 GB.  3rd party memory is
significantly cheaper than Apple's offerings.

Any digital monitor with resolution up to 1920x1200 is supported.
Any analog monitor up to 1920 x 1080 is supported.

Also, one thing no one else mentioned: the Ethernet port is 10/100/1000.

As an inveterate Mac person, the only thing I've ever used AppleCare
for is hardware failure; there's enough information on the Mac Web
where you can get nearly any software question you might possibly
have answered.

I strongly suggest AppleCare on laptops.  I don't tend to recommend
it on desktops.

The mini, however, seems to be neither fish nor fowl.  It does use
laptop components, but it's not quite as size-compromised.

Now if only they would upgrade it to Core Duo 2, as they've done for
the iMac...

Cheers,

John Francini