[geeks] Advice on buying a new Mac

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Nov 13 11:34:56 CST 2006

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 11:08:42AM -0500, Dave K wrote:
> Therefore, I'm looking at the "bigger" Mac Mini:
>     * 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo
>     * 512MB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x256
>     * 80GB Serial ATA drive
>     * SuperDrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD1RW/CD-RW)
>     * Mac OS X - U.S. English
>     * Intel GMA 950 graphics
>     * Accessory kit
> I'm assuming I'll be able to use one of my Samsung 204B monitors, right?

Right.

> What options should I go for:
> Is 1 meg of RAM enough, or should I go for 2?

I wouldn't get a Mac nowdays without at least a gig of RAM, but I would go
for 2G if possible.  I started out with 1G (2x512) in my 2Ghz iMac 20", but
when I started using Parallels (to run XP so I could VPN to work and work
from home occasionally), I discovered that with 1G, even if I only gave XP
256 of that, OSX was swapping.  I upgraded to 1.5G (1x1G, 1x512M) and can
now give XP 512M and avoid swapping.

> Is there any special benefit to adding a bigger disk internally,
> versus using external/network storage?

If its a 4200RPM SATA disk, you'll benefit speed-wise from a faster
disk (7200rpm).

> Should I go with the Apple keyboard/mouse, or 3rd party?

Depends on your preferences - I'd test them at a CompUSA or Apple Store
first.  I loathe the Apple keyboard (I have a Unicomp "Model-M"-type
clicky USB keyboard with the Windows keys remapped to Apple equivalents),
but LOVE the wired "Mighty Mouse".

> What actually is iWork, and is it worth $79?

Word processor and I think a spreadsheet program.  I've never used it;
Google provides free equivalents that work fine for me.

> And what about AppleCare?

I won't go without it.  However, any upgrades (HD, RAM) done by you won't
be covered unless they're Gen-u-ine Apple Parts (e.g., "they have an Apple
part number sticker on them").

Bill

--
Bill Bradford