[geeks] Advice on buying a new Mac

Andy Wallis rawallis at panix.com
Mon Nov 13 12:35:05 CST 2006

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 11:51:50AM -0500, Dave K wrote:
> On 11/13/06, Andy Wallis <rawallis at panix.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 11:08:42AM -0500, Dave K wrote:
> > iWork is a word processor and presentation maker.
> Is that all?  I thought I missed something when reading the web pages about it.

That is about it. Most of the iWork webpage is about the pretty shiny objects in
it. If Numbers shipped when I got it, I would purchased it. I have a weird
requirment in using a spreadsheet to write up D&D or GURPS characters. As a
character sheet is only a table of numbers and symbols, they map well to a
spreadsheet.

> > AppleCare is only good for hardware failures or GUI applications.
> How likely would I need h/w help with a new Mini?
I bought AppleCare as an insurance in case a latent defect hit it. I figured that
it would be cheaper to get the three year policy in case my machine was on the
left of failure curve. If bad caps or the hard disk ate it, I could drop kick it
to Apple and get a repair or replacement.

-Andy Wallis