[geeks] Gold archival CDs?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon May 22 11:36:38 CDT 2006

>From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: Sat May 13 16:52:55 CDT 2006
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Gold archival CDs?

>Fri, 12 May 2006 @ 17:07 -0500, Micah R Ledbetter said:
>
>> On May 12, 2006, at 16:01, nate at portents.com wrote:
>>
>> > If you want something that will last more than 30 years, I think
>> > the only
>> > optical media you can trust is magneto-optical, because it doesn't
>> > involve
>> > organic dye in any way.
>>
>> Heh. But will the *drives* still work after 30 years? ;)
>
>...and will you be able to afford enough of the media to back anything up?

As I recall, teh AT&T Plan 9 project had an interesting filesystem/archival process that involved slowly migrating data from local "near off-line" storage (magneto-optical jukeboxes, IIRC).

The idea was that as files aged, they were migrated from local store (RAM) to local HD and on to jukebox for backup. As files were needed, they were called back from the MO jukebox into RAM and started their path back to the jukebox.

The key points in this (for me) was the lack of manual intervention to backup files,and the "always available" nature of files. Also, IIRC the Plan 9 clients were "typically" thin clients with minimal/no local HDs.

Anyway, just wanted to mention it...

Lionel