[geeks] Gold archival CDs?

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon May 22 12:23:49 CDT 2006

On 5/22/06, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
> As I recall, teh AT&T Plan 9 project had an interesting filesystem/archival
process that involved slowly migrating data from local "near off-line" storage
(magneto-optical jukeboxes, IIRC).

> The idea was that as files aged, they were migrated from local store (RAM)
to local HD and on to jukebox for backup. As files were needed, they were
called back from the MO jukebox into RAM and started their path back to the
jukebox.

> The key points in this (for me) was the lack of manual intervention to
backup files,and the "always available" nature of files. Also, IIRC the Plan 9
clients were "typically" thin clients with minimal/no local HDs.

There were a couple of companies that did this (and may still);
several jobs ago, we had several of those MO jukeboxes.  Commvault was
the company that provided the software, the jukes were HP gear, iirc.

They were pretty temperamental, and not nearly as hands off as advertised.

=Nadine=