[geeks] Extreme Networks - your opinion?

James Fogg James at jdfogg.com
Sun May 21 07:34:11 CDT 2006

> I am seeing some Extreme Networks stuff go for cheap on eBay,
> like this
> one:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/Extreme-Networks-Summit-48-Port-Switch-w-G
BICs-15001> _W0QQitemZ9729451194QQcategoryZ71521QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

> Supposedly they can replace a "router on a stick" network
> approach with their built-in routing.
>
> Anyone have any experience with these beasts?

The Extreme's I've worked with in a high-volume network (digital
prepress, lots of mammoth files flowing all day long) didn't do well.
They do OK, but had random days of "you can't talk to that", followed by
"now you can't talk to this".

Replacements didn't help.