[geeks] HP 1320 printer, won't run a USB 2.0 speed

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon May 8 17:54:00 CDT 2006

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 05:08:26PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> I just got an HP 1320 laser printer.  Very nice.
> It supporse USB 2.0. However, when I plug it into my Linux box, it only runs
> at USB 1.1 speeds. Works fine, and usually plenty fast, but graphics take a
> long time at 1.1 speeds.
> Has anyone else seen this sort of thing?
> It has a USB 2.0 cable and the machine runs other USB 2.0 devices at hi speed
> without issue.
> I tested the printer under Win2k, but couldn't immediately find a way to show
> the speed of connected USB devices.

You sure its not "USB 2.0 Full Speed" (aka 1.1), instead of "USB 2.0 Hi
Speed" (usb 2.0 / 480mbits) ?  A lot of vendors now call their 1.1 stuff
"2.0 Full Speed".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus#USB

"USB 2.0: Revised in December 2002. Added three speed distinction to
this standard, allowing all devices to be USB 2.0 compliant even if
they were previously considered only 1.1 or 1.0 compliant. This makes
the backwards compatibility explicit, but it becomes more difficult
to determine a device's throughput without seeing the symbol. As an
example, a computer's port could be incapable of USB 2.0's hi-speed
fast transfer rates, but still claim USB 2.0 compliance (since it
supports some of USB 2.0)."

Bill

--
Bill Bradford