[geeks] HP 1320 printer, won't run a USB 2.0 speed

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon May 8 19:04:24 CDT 2006

Mon, 08 May 2006 @ 17:54 -0500, Bill Bradford said:

> On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 05:08:26PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > I just got an HP 1320 laser printer.  Very nice.
> > It supporse USB 2.0. However, when I plug it into my Linux box, it only runs
> > at USB 1.1 speeds. Works fine, and usually plenty fast, but graphics take a
> > long time at 1.1 speeds.
> > Has anyone else seen this sort of thing?
> > It has a USB 2.0 cable and the machine runs other USB 2.0 devices at hi speed
> > without issue.
> > I tested the printer under Win2k, but couldn't immediately find a way to show
> > the speed of connected USB devices.
>
> You sure its not "USB 2.0 Full Speed" (aka 1.1), instead of "USB 2.0 Hi
> Speed" (usb 2.0 / 480mbits) ?  A lot of vendors now call their 1.1 stuff
> "2.0 Full Speed".

The box and manual says it supports USB and USB hi-speed systems and cables. I
took that to mean it would do 480Mbps because that's what hi-speed USB is.

I really need to get a tool to show the connect speed in Windows in case this
is a Linux USB bug, which has happened before. My iPod used to fail to connect
at 2.0 speeds until some kernel revision came out.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus#USB

That's good to know.

If this printer does not do 480Mbps, then it is a case of false advertising,
because it clearly claims to. I doubt I'd return it because of that, but it
would put a damper on things.

Most of the time, I won't care because PostScript and PCL are fairly
small for most jobs.

It is when sending large images that USB normal speed is painful.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Castles are sacked in war, Chieftains are
scattered far, Truth is a fixed star, Eileen aroon!" -- Gerald Griffin]