[geeks] CAPSoff keyboard contest

John Francini francini at mac.com
Wed Dec 20 13:42:34 CST 2006

I had the Devil's own time getting used to the PC-style keyboard,
which appears to be a direct descendant of the old IBM Selectric key
layout.

You see, I spent my first 15+ years of computing using:

o ASR-33 Teletypes

o DEC VT52 terminals

o DEC VT100 terminals

o DEC VT220/320/420 terminals

o DEC workstations (with the same keyboard layouts as the VT220/320/420)

and then, finally, Macs and PCs.

All the DEC layouts (and the TTY) have the Control key where the Caps
Lock key is.  (Caps Lock was either missing or was *below* the Shift
key.)

john