[geeks] keyboard remapping in winxp

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Dec 20 13:32:56 CST 2006

For years I've run Windows 2000 with capslock remapped to be left
control.

I used a simple registry hack, and it worked in games and everything.

*ALL* programs without exception saw capslock as control, and my little
world was happy and productive.

Now I've moved to Windows XP, and something bizarre has happened. I mean
besides the fact that I installed XP.

I installed the same registry file, because it was supposed to work with
XP, and now capslock is completely broken.

On the desktop, capslock behaves like control.

In applications, it seems to be random.

In some applications, capslock behaves like control.

In other applications, capslock behaves like capslock.

Most maddening of all, in yet other applications capslock behaves like
either control or capslock, depending on the context in which it is
used. For example, in Oblivion it behaves like control when used in
character control, but behaves like capslock when used for typing.

What the hell has gone wrong?

More importantly, how do I either get back to the default, or get it
working correctly.

MORE:

I've been wondering if somehow a keyboard driver modification got
installed in addition to the capslock registry change, and maybe that is
causing the odd behavior. I didn't install one on purpose, but just now
I did find some registry hacks that also came with some kind of keyboard
driver, and thought I might have gotten that installed by accident.

How can I sell if the keyboard driver in WinXP has been modified?

Any help appreciated.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The grieving lords take ship.  With these
our very souls pass overseas." -- Exile]