[geeks] Passwords, etc

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Dec 11 13:11:50 CST 2006

Mon, 11 Dec 2006 @ 13:08 -0500, Lionel Peterson said:

> On 12/11/06, John Francini <francini at mac.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm sorry -- that's tantamount to tattooing a number or a barcode on
> > you.  Worse, actually, since it can be read at a distance.
>

> Why do you you think a tattoo or barcode *can't* be read at a distance? It
> comes down to a question of optics and character recognition, nothing more.
> An implantable device has a built-in obscurity factor (does he, or doesn't
> he have an implant?), and pasive ID tags can only be read so far from the
> "chip"/implant (on the order of inches, not feet or yards). To read an
> RFID-type ID at anything resembling a great distance would require (I
> imagine) a massive transmitter to "energize" the RFID tag enough to send a
> signal strong enough to be picked up by a massively sensitive receiver at
> any significant distance - oh, and I hope your massive transmitter doesn't
> overload the front end of your sensetive receiver).

That's not true according to what I've ready.

The IEEE and some other entities have done experiemnts and stated that
the distance various forms of embedded ID can be read is far greater
than anticipated.

Besides, even inches is too much when done by the wrong people.

I pass within inches or feet of things which could ID me all the time in
stores, malls, and public buildings.

No thanks.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["It's a damn poor mind that can only think
of one way to spell a word." -- Andrew Jackson]