[geeks] Why I hate Verizon Online

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Dec 9 02:16:35 CST 2006

Thu, 07 Dec 2006 @ 17:48 -0600, Lionel Peterson said:

> >From: Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net>
> >Date: 2006/12/07 Thu PM 01:20:03 CST
> >To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> >Subject: Re: [geeks] Why I hate Verizon Online
>
> >Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> >> The only problem I have with FiOS is that they won't allow local ISPs to
> >> connect to the FiOS network to provide internet service.  I'd *much*
> >> rather keep my current ISP than use Verizon as my ISP.
> >
> >No kidding.  I would be deliriously happy if I could get a FiOS
> >connection and use Speakeasy as my ISP.  Anything that runs through
> >Verizon Online is next to worthless because they're completely and
> >utterly clueless.
>
> And the difference would be what, exactly?

You get a better ISP, often a better connection, better service, and
usually more features.

Verizon supports their own service *worse* than their competitors do.

For example, a local ISP I use resells Verizon DSL.

The differences:

	- the ISP is very fast with service calls
	- the ISP knows what it is doing
	- the ISP value-added services really do add value
	- the ISP doesn't care what systems you run
	- the ISP doesn't have caps, server restrictions, and their DNS
	  doesn't go down daily
	- if something happens to your DSL line, the ISP can get it
	  serviced, while Verizon (and Cox for that matter) frequently
	  ignore customer line problems for days at a time
	- it's cheaper

Really, it's amazing, but true.

I can only guess that this happens because Verizon is forced to resell
at a certain price point that let's their competition do this.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Castles are sacked in war, Chieftains are
scattered far, Truth is a fixed star, Eileen aroon!" -- Gerald Griffin]