[geeks] Why I hate Verizon Online

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 00:38:26 CST 2006

Lionel Peterson wrote:
>>> The only problem I have with FiOS is that they won't allow local ISPs to
>>> connect to the FiOS network to provide internet service.  I'd *much*
>>> rather keep my current ISP than use Verizon as my ISP.
>> No kidding.  I would be deliriously happy if I could get a FiOS
>> connection and use Speakeasy as my ISP.  Anything that runs through
>> Verizon Online is next to worthless because they're completely and
>> utterly clueless.
>
> And the difference would be what, exactly?
>
> As I understand it, were FiOS to be available at a discount to Verizon competitors, then all system elements *except* Verizon value-add software and first-level support would be *exactly* the same, meaning that when a problem arises, you call (for example) Speakeasy, and they, in turn, call Verizon to report the trouble, at a potentially higher level (than you could directly access as a mere customer)...

I heard a similar argument regarding using non-Verizon ISPs on
Verizon-provisioned ADSL local loops.  I pay less than half Verizon's
rate for a faster ADSL connection than Verizon has available, and I get
a /27 block for free, which Verizon would make me pay $$$$ for.  I could
get a bigger block for free if I could come up with a justification.

Peace...  Sridhar