[geeks] Why I hate Verizon Online

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Tue Dec 5 10:44:35 CST 2006

Sandwich Maker wrote:
> " From: Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net>
> "
> " I can't even *get* 3/512 from Verizon, unless they roll out FIOS here.
>
> fios is coming.  my aunt down in bedford got a fios tv flyer despite
> the fact that fios isn't available quite yet.

Yup, they're rolling FiOS in Bedford, but can't give me an availability
date here.  Besides, I've been told Verizon's FiOS offerings have
exactly the same limitations as their residential DSL -- still can't get
static IP, still have filtered ports, and "support" still doesn't know
their ass from a hole in the ground.

> i've been with galaxy - gis.net - since about '97 but only on dsl about
> 6 mo.  so far the only outage i've had was when someone hit a pole
> outside my house...  i pay $20/mo for 768/128 + voip and $10/mo for
> static ip + dns; rolled my number from verizon and unplugged them.
> they'd been ~$30/mo alone, for a fairly basic plan.
>
> galaxy now cover a good part of the east coast, down to philly at least,
> but they're based in newton ma and it isn't hard to reach unix-savvy
> tech support.

I'll check'em out in case Speakeasy falls through.

--
 Same geek, same site, new location