[geeks] Why I hate Verizon Online

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Tue Dec 5 09:52:06 CST 2006

" From: Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net>
"
" I can't even *get* 3/512 from Verizon, unless they roll out FIOS here.

fios is coming.  my aunt down in bedford got a fios tv flyer despite
the fact that fios isn't available quite yet.  a friend next town over
[atkinson nh], former cow-orker from bell labs, has been watching them
lay the fiber in his neighborhood and harassing sales for turn-up dates,
which was supposed to be november...  he's already pissed he can't get
dsl; he's within range but they wired him through a rt and that's not
tarriffed, you have to have a direct pair to the co.

i've been with galaxy - gis.net - since about '97 but only on dsl about
6 mo.  so far the only outage i've had was when someone hit a pole
outside my house...  i pay $20/mo for 768/128 + voip and $10/mo for
static ip + dns; rolled my number from verizon and unplugged them.
they'd been ~$30/mo alone, for a fairly basic plan.

galaxy now cover a good part of the east coast, down to philly at least,
but they're based in newton ma and it isn't hard to reach unix-savvy
tech support.