[geeks] Subversion, two weeks of usage

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Aug 28 21:45:12 CDT 2006

Mon, 28 Aug 2006 @ 19:32 -0400, Andy Wallis said:

> On Aug 27, 2006, at 12:15 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
> > Sun, 27 Aug 2006 @ 01:14 -0400, Andy Wallis said:
> >
> >> PVCS/Dimensions is OK once you understand why Merant/Serena used an
> >> Oracle database to handle the data.
> > How is that?
> I haven't personally got into the bowels of it, but our resident PVCS
> weenie did tell me that if you base your release and source
> management off of how PVCS handles revisions internally, you can
> squeeze a lot of performance out of it. As long as you don't have
> large binary objects or a number of files in the directory that would
> overfill the table, PVCS will purr like a kitten.

I don't know if I believe that or not.

I was using it at several shops for nothing but source files, none very
large, and it had horrible performance.

Even CVS blew its doors off by orders of magnitude.

Also, what do you do if you can't use that database?

I hate a system that puts my data in a proprietary product like that.

Subversion is screaming fast even if you don't use the database.  It
does like filesystems with btree directories, but even without it isn't
bad.

> > Welcome to Web 2.0.
> When it comes to Web 2.0, I remember the words of a Microsoft
> employee whose name escapes me right now. "XML is a solution looking
> for a problem."

Well, Microsoft evidently found it...

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Consulting wouldn't be what it is today
without Microsoft Windows" -- Chris Pinkham]