[geeks] DVD based backup software

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Sat Aug 26 17:36:31 CDT 2006

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> I've been working on this, but it is awfully complicated for what I
> want.
>
> Every time I look at a software package like this, I marvel at how
> complicated configuration is.

*nod*

One of the biggest failings of all this open-source stuff is backup
software that:

a) sucks for home users
b) is too complicated
c) both a and b

Windows and Mac users get stuff like EMC Retrospect or Norton Ghost.

What do Linux or *BSD have?  tar/pax/whatever and rsync.

*grumble*grumble*grumble*

(in case anyone hasn't looked, both the products I mentioned can do
bare-metal recovery using only a boot cd and a USB or firewire-attached
hard drive.  Try that with Linux or *BSD without being a sysadmin)

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at tux.obix.com