[geeks] DVD based backup software

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Sat Aug 26 17:46:14 CDT 2006

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 17:36:31 -0500, Phil Brutsche wrote:
> One of the biggest failings of all this open-source stuff is backup
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This bit might not be necessary ... at least some (Legaltoe) commercial
Unix backup software sucks more than usual software sucks too.

> What do Linux or *BSD have?  tar/pax/whatever and rsync.
>
> *grumble*grumble*grumble*
>
> (in case anyone hasn't looked, both the products I mentioned can do
> bare-metal recovery using only a boot cd and a USB or

mkcdrec (http://mkcdrec.ota.be/) does bare metal recovery. And despite
using ANSI colours all over the place (for some reason this doesn't
inspire confidence) it seems to work quite well. I've used it for at
leat 5 years ... in particular on a cluster of 4 web cache machines
where I build a master image and clone using a mkcdrec recovery CD onto
the others.

Of course a single CD doesn't work so well considering the size, but it
is feasable.

Apologies for any gross inaccuracies ... I'm not entirely sober and my
supurating sores are troubling me.