[geeks] Now for something completely geek

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Aug 25 01:00:06 CDT 2006

Thu, 24 Aug 2006 @ 11:40 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:

> Oh yeah, not disputing that.  Just slightly amazed they managed to
> accomplish so much while hampered by idiotic Emperors, a ludicrous
> calendar that must have made it hard to schedule anything long-term, a
> number system out of someone's fever dreams ...
>
> Then again, I don't recall exactly when Arabic numerals were invented.
> At least the Romans HAD a numbering system.  Just like COBOL isn't
> pretty, but you *can* write working code in it.

Right... you have to look at the rest of the world which didn't have
their discipline or civilization.

Of course, they usually copied it from the barbarians around them, who
were more advanced than we give them credit for.

The romans just had a knack for assimilation and pragmatism, and since
they had good education and writing skills, they put it all to better
use.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["An Irishman is never drunk as long as he
can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth."]