[geeks] Now for something completely geek

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Thu Aug 24 10:40:13 CDT 2006

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Thu, 24 Aug 2006 @ 10:39 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:
>
>> You know, the Romans bodged and/or screwed up so many things it's really
>> pretty amazing they accomplished as much as they did.
>
> Everyone bodged and/or screwed things up, including those magical
> Egyptians.
>
> I'd say the romans probably did more good work than just about any other
> civilization the world has ever seen.

Oh yeah, not disputing that.  Just slightly amazed they managed to
accomplish so much while hampered by idiotic Emperors, a ludicrous
calendar that must have made it hard to schedule anything long-term, a
number system out of someone's fever dreams ...

Then again, I don't recall exactly when Arabic numerals were invented.
At least the Romans HAD a numbering system.  Just like COBOL isn't
pretty, but you *can* write working code in it.

--
 Same geek, same site, new location