[geeks] Now for something completely geek

Dave Fischer dave at cca.org
Thu Aug 24 11:13:51 CDT 2006

shannon at widomaker.com writes:

>Thu, 24 Aug 2006 @ 10:39 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:

>> You know, the Romans bodged and/or screwed up so many things it's really
>> pretty amazing they accomplished as much as they did.

>Everyone bodged and/or screwed things up, including those magical
>Egyptians.

>I'd say the romans probably did more good work than just about any other
>civilization the world has ever seen.

>A lot of civilizations did neat things, but the romans are the ones that
>really put it all together into a consistent infrastructure that
>survives to the present.

The thing I find interesting about studying ancient history is
that you see traces from every past civilization all around you.

I happen to see Sumerian & Egyptian influences everywhere, but
that's because those are the civilizations I've read the most
about.

(Not to say that all influences are equal, or anything. Greece
and Rome obviously are the biggest direct influences on modern
western society.)

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org ------