[geeks] Now for something completely geek

Thu Aug 24 09:22:36 CDT 2006

> why not decimal time while you're at it?  100 sec/min, 100 min/hr, 10
> hr/day.  1 new sec = 0.864 old sec.

It's an attractive idea, but too many things depend on the current
definition of a second.

> ten day weeks.  [these are actually an old idea; ancient egypt used
> them before the invention of the 'modern' calendar]

*I*'d like them well enough, but I doubt either Christians or Jews
would (I don't know enough Islam to know about Moslems, though since
they're a People of the Book I'd expect they'd feel the same way).

Not that other calendars haven't been mentioned often enough in
fiction; consider Brust's Dragaeran calendar of five-day weeks, or
Tolkien's hobbits' calendar (which latter we could do much worse than
to adopt).

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca