[geeks] DVD based backup software

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Aug 23 22:48:33 CDT 2006

Wed, 23 Aug 2006 @ 22:04 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:

> I think ALL backup program CD/DVD backends are an awkward hack.  And I
> think they always will be, until someone comes up with a magazine-fed
> robotic CD/DVD burner library.

CD and DVD media in general is an ugly hardware hack.

The whole idea that you have to burn an image in a one-shot deal is
stupid.

The packet writing methods all suck.

>From what I can tell, Blu-Ray and other "new" stuff is just about as
bad, only now the images you need to buffer are even larger.

I wish reliable tape was cheaper and in wider use.

> You could try Bacula.  It does DVD backup.  I have not used the DVD
> backend, and cannot vouch for its degree of hackiness.

The plan for tomorrow.  Will post to the list on how it works out.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Castles are sacked in war, Chieftains are
scattered far, Truth is a fixed star, Eileen aroon!" -- Gerald Griffin]