[geeks] DVD based backup software

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Wed Aug 23 21:04:39 CDT 2006

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> For years I've used a Perl program called cddump that does multi-volume
> backups to CD-R, and it works well enough.
>
> However, the code is bad and the author abandoned it to work on a new
> utility.
>
> Does anyone know of any decent UNIX software for doing backups to CD and
> DVD media, with multi-volume an absolute requirement?
>
> Almost everything I've tried either sucks or is very incomplete.
>
> I tried things like Amanda, but didn't like how they worked.  The CD/DVD
> backends feel like a bad hack, and the media requirements were IMHO
> rather stupid, especially the need to pre-label backup tapes (mostly
> Amanda).

I think ALL backup program CD/DVD backends are an awkward hack.  And I
think they always will be, until someone comes up with a magazine-fed
robotic CD/DVD burner library.

You could try Bacula.  It does DVD backup.  I have not used the DVD
backend, and cannot vouch for its degree of hackiness.

--
 Same geek, same site, new location