[geeks] Now for something completely geek

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Aug 22 07:15:07 CDT 2006

>From: sammy ominsky <s at avoidant.org>
>Date: 2006/08/21 Mon PM 11:50:50 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Now for something completely geek

>On 22/08/2006, at 02:39, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
<snip>

>> One I read about was the one where you phone would ring every time
>> a GPS triggered ad fired.  Yes, some idiot in marketing actually
>> thought this was a good idea.
>
>Does that include charging you for airtime for the call?  THAT would
>almost be criminal, I think.  Other than that, from a marketing
>perspective it almost makes sense.

AIrtime doesn't figure into it - this is an attempt to extend the realm of impulse purchases to folks that haven't even entered the store... THe classic example is that you walk by a Starbucks, and as you approach it, your phone vibrates, and you find out about some offer designed to get you into the store ($ off, free cookie, etc.). The idea is annoying (from a consumer perspective), becuase if it is successful, many folks would simply turn off their phone (or ignore it) as they walk through the mall, as most stores would have some promotion running. And what about driving past a strip mall?

These folks are being too clever by half - they arrogantly think the distractions will be tolerated becuse there is the off-chance you'll take advantage of it. I think the alerts/ads will generate tremendous negative opinions about the retailers that do it.

Lionel