[geeks] Now for something completely geek

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Aug 22 16:35:10 CDT 2006

>From: "Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net>
>Date: 2006/08/22 Tue PM 04:24:18 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Now for something completely geek

>On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Mike Meredith wrote:
>
>> Switching to TAI might have interesting consequences over the long
>> term, but switching to UTC would be worth it for the amusement value
>> alone :-
>>
>> "I can't start work at 3am ... it's far too early for me"
>> "You can't change time like that. The cows have been bred to be milked
>> at 5am"
>
>Sort of like what the AP reported when the time change change was voted
>in:
>
>   Farmers complain the time change adversely affects livestock,
>   especially dairy cows, disrupting milking schedules.
>
>Because cows wear wristwtches, of course.

No, but I assume the real cause is that the farmer has to push delivery of the milk ahead an hour becuase the processing plant times have shifted, so the cows have to be milked an hour earlier...

Just an assumption, but seems plausable. (Cows don't need to wear watches to be affected by time changes, since everyone around them *does* wear a watch)

Lionel