[geeks] Now for something completely geek

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Fri Aug 18 05:15:28 CDT 2006

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Thu, 17 Aug 2006 @ 21:32 -0400, James Fogg said:
>
>> Now that cell phones have GPS receivers, is there any way to acquire
>> that data and use it? I've heard of web sites that let you track a phone
>> location, is the really possible? Is there a way to get the phone to
>> display geodata like a simplified GPS receiver?
>
> I'd just like to learn how to turn them off, completely.
>
> But yeah, it would be interesting to get their data.
>
> However, I think mostly it is used internally, and most phones don't
> provide any kind of external interface.

Nextel provides a service to track their GPS-enabled phones, for a fee.
 There is another site that will let you track any phone enabled for
both Java and GPS for free.  (I don't remember the site.  Google for
it.)  And some years ago I was riding with a friend with a GPS-enabled
phone connected to a laptop and feeding realtime position data to a
mapping application, but I don't remember which application or what phone.