[geeks] Now for something completely geek

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Aug 18 00:08:01 CDT 2006

Thu, 17 Aug 2006 @ 21:32 -0400, James Fogg said:

> Now that cell phones have GPS receivers, is there any way to acquire
> that data and use it? I've heard of web sites that let you track a phone
> location, is the really possible? Is there a way to get the phone to
> display geodata like a simplified GPS receiver?

I'd just like to learn how to turn them off, completely.

But yeah, it would be interesting to get their data.

However, I think mostly it is used internally, and most phones don't
provide any kind of external interface.

Maybe try to get wiring specifications for the data communications port,
and see if it has anything like GPS clock or data pins.  A lot of them
have modem pins, even when the manual doesn't mention it.

You'll need the technical manual that they don't generally give out with
the phones.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["We have nothing to prove" -- Alan Dawkins]