[geeks] Solaris 10 / OpenSolaris bits to be in next version of OSX

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Wed Aug 9 20:09:36 CDT 2006

der Mouse wrote:
>>> The more sinister side of this is how Sun is selling it.  "Silent
>>> data corruption"?  What in the world is that supposed to mean?
>> You've never had a shaky disk start throwing random read errors?
>
> Not silent ones.  I've had disks start returning read errors, yes, but
> I don't think I've ever had one start *silently* returning bad data.
>
>> I've had several disks over time that silently failed in WORN mode --
>> write once, read never.
>
> That's not "silent" as I understood the term to be used here.  It's
> quite noisy, in fact.  The failure mode I take "silent data corruption"
> to refer to is "write once, then read and get something different with
> no error indication".

That's exactly what I meant.  Disk sectors developed what I can only
describe as "stuck bits".  You could write what you wanted, but you
could never read back exactly what you wrote unless you happened to
write those bits the way they were "stuck".

(Or, to look at it another way, random bits became unwriteable, but no
error was reported.)