[geeks] Solaris 10 / OpenSolaris bits to be in next version of OSX

Wed Aug 9 19:35:30 CDT 2006

>> The more sinister side of this is how Sun is selling it.  "Silent
>> data corruption"?  What in the world is that supposed to mean?
> You've never had a shaky disk start throwing random read errors?

Not silent ones.  I've had disks start returning read errors, yes, but
I don't think I've ever had one start *silently* returning bad data.

> I've had several disks over time that silently failed in WORN mode --
> write once, read never.

That's not "silent" as I understood the term to be used here.  It's
quite noisy, in fact.  The failure mode I take "silent data corruption"
to refer to is "write once, then read and get something different with
no error indication".

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca