[geeks] Solaris 10 / OpenSolaris bits to be in next version of OSX

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Thu Aug 10 18:03:54 CDT 2006

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, Scott Howard wrote:
> * Removing a disk becomes much easier - the FS just needs to move the
> data that is on it to another disk (OK, so ZFS in S10 doesn't do this yet,
> but it will real-soon)

Tru64's AdvFS has done this for years.  It has some LVM-like functionality
in that respect.  You make a file domain from which you carve out filesets
and you can adjust the size of the filesets on the fly.  You can add more
partitions (or slice c if you want the whole drive) to the domain on the fly
and the filesystems can immediately use it.  You can use the 'balance' command
to balance the amount of data on each volume in the domain.  You can remove
a volume from a domain.  (not instant, because it has to migrate the data
from the volume)  It does snapshots ('cloned' filesets) instantly.  I've
always really liked AdvFS and it pissed me off when HP reneged on their promise
to port it to HP-UX.  (along with trucluster)

Besides ZFS and AdvFS, are there other filesystems that can span volumes without using
LVM?

-DanD

# The mistake you make is in trying to figure it out.  TENESSEE WILLIAMS
#