[geeks] *sigh*

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 23:31:26 CST 2005

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 18:43:27 -0600, Mike Parson <mparson at bl.org> wrote:
> (Evolution + Exchange-connector from Ximian^WNovell)
>
> Its not really MAPI, its closer to doing the same XML exchange that
> happens between OWA and the Exchange server when you're using IE.  The
> first hint of this is that when configuring the connector, you point it
> at the OWA URL.  It works, but it gets pokey when you're looking at a
> folder with a lot of messages in it, and it tends to lock up from time
> to time (often enough that the "kill `ps -aux| grep [e]vo`" is easily
> found in my shell history).

I was under the impression that it was not free, but maybe I am
mistaken.

I may try it, but I am also intending to try the free implementation of
NoMachine NX and see if it works a little better than TightVNC.  I'm
trying to get the creaky SunBlade to the point where I can use it 95%
of the time, as there is no way for me to effectively use 2 machine in
my cube without coughing up cash for my own USB KVM.  I gave up
my trials with *BSD, as the USB support on the Sun Blade was less
than ideal (kernel panics and keyboard input so sluggish on the
console as to be a reminder of <1200 Baud days), and instead
 installed Gentoo.

> In several ways, I prefer it to Outlook2k3, for some things, its faster
> (searching a given folder), but slower when you actually get down to
> moving lots of messages around.

Adding "Lookout" to Outlook makes searching a hell of a lot easier; you
can even use it to index your HD, too, and public folders.  I hate to pimp
M$ software (they bought the company that originally wrote it), but this
one is decent, and makes Outlook marginally more bearable.

http://www.lookoutsoft.com/Lookout/

=Nadine=
...who wishes we could go back to the days when Zmail was king and
anyone who used email also knew what Usenet was.